This is a running list of our tour milestones and other interesting things we discover along the way:
- Other cross-country bicyclists we’ve met (running count): 1 (Day 31)
- Other long-distance bicyclists we’ve met (running count): 4 (tandem); 8
- Other touring cyclists one or both of us have seen but didn’t meet: 6; +1
- First rain: Day 1
- First motel stay: Day 2
- Snake count: 5 (dead); 1 (alive)
- Eagle count: 3
- Chain pop-offs: 6 (Michael)
- First ice cream (soft-serve, M&Ms Flurry): Day 2
- First roadside-stand stop (Nate ate a whole cucumber; Michael got a plum and nectarine): Day 5
- Jettisoned cargo (sent home to lighten/reduce loads): Pillows; chair; stove; cold-weather rain jackets; extra clothes; batteries; mini lantern.
- First flat: Nate (Day 7); Michael (Day 24)
- First dog encounter: Nate, Day 12, fended off with water.
- Highest single-day dog encounters: Michael (5), Day 27; Nate (5), Day 26.
- Unnatural roadkill: dust pan, Barbie, mirror, bungee cords, shuttlecock, Mr. Coffee, Cheez Whiz, unpaired shoes.
- Crossed the Mississippi River: Day 25
- Number of deer seen crossing road at a deer-crossing sign: 2
The List will grow as we accumulate miles; For now, here’s a cool website to make use of your time, and put things in perspective: If the Moon Were only 1 Pixel